Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stating the obvious

Yesterday, at my son's baseball practice, I was asked the question I've been avoiding- I was asked what type of work I did. I paused for a moment, thinking of what I could say, and then said, "I am currently unemployed, but actively looking." It's true, but not something I have said out loud very often. Pride can often be a bad thing.

Through the years, I have had no problem speaking with people about what type of work I was doing, but to speak about not working, that's tough. Then this person told me that, "It must stink to be out of work, but you have a lot more time to spend with your kids- and that's a good thing."

The obvious things here are that the fear of speaking about something is often more frightening than saying it and if you don't tell people you are looking for work- they won't know and they won't be able to help you because you never know who might hear of a job opening that would be perfect for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment