Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat...

Job searching is not for the faint hearted. It's been 5 months since I left a part time telemarketing job which I was not good at (I had a hard time selling credit cards over the phone to, mainly, senior citizens). I had confidence that I'd be able to find a full time position quickly, if I was able to give it the attention I wanted to give it.

That was in January, it's now May and I am still looking. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I didn't think it would be so hard to find a position where "good customer service skills" isn't just a buzzword for selling more. Where flexible hours means you can take off for your kids concert, not "we're not sure when you'll work, so we want you not to plan anything, because you might be scheduled that day." Where the pay is a living wage. Where you don't need 5 years experience or a Masters degree to do something which pays $9 per hour.

I don't think I'm asking too much. I'm looking for someone to take a chance on a 43 year old man- married, with 6 kids- who wants to work- wants to learn new skills, but also wants to help to make the world a better place. My family and I are willing to live simple, so others can simply live. I'm not looking for 6 figures, I'm looking to be given a chance. This job search is truly like the old "Wide World of Sports" intro- the thrill of victory- both when I'm called for an interview and when I eventually land a position- and the agony of defeat, when either I get no response, of when I get an email telling me they are going with a better qualified candidate- I'm curious how I didn't qualify for the part time customer service position, but, I guess I'll never know.

Most days though, I feel that either I'm Job Searching or maybe, I'm just banging my head against the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment